Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Hot Cocoa Mix



I make this every year as gifts and every year I get so many compliments. So I am adding it here for all to make on their own if they wish. I am not sure where I originally got the first recipe from. I have tweaked it quite a bit to fit my needs. This comes out in a real fine powder, but it totally dissolves in water and is super rich. Also this makes a very large batch. I do this as gifts in jars so that is why the large recipe. I guess I could try to figure out how to cut it down but I love being able to make a large batch and even have some for around here.

14 cups of powdered milk (I process mine in the blender till fine powder. It will decreased it from 14 cups to about 8 once done. I found it dissolves this way in the water while by not processing it left lumps in my cocoa.)
3 pounds powdered sugar (definitely powdered not granular)
16 ounces baking cocoa
3-4 cups coffee creamer (if this is lumpy then process also, if not then use as is. The creamer gives it the real milky taste.)

Mix together in LARGE bowl till thoroughly mix. Place in containers with a tag that says "Add 3-4 large spoonfuls to 8 ounces of hot water."

Now I am a dump and go kind of gal. None of my measurements are perfectly accurate. I always start a pot of hot water and make up a cup before I jar and then tweak as needed. Sometimes it is too chocolaty and needs more sugar, sometimes too watery and needs more creamer. I go with the flow. You can give them with candy canes to mix it with or marshmallows. One year I added mini chocolate chips. I was not fond of them but the feedback I got was great from my friends that got those jars. They said it was a nice surprise in the hot chocolate. I hate chunks in my hot chocolate though.

Now my favorite way to drink hot chocolate is with a little bit of flavored creamer (caramel) and whipped topping. But everyone has there own taste.


This is this years gift to coworkers. I am still working on the marshmellows and therefore they aren't tied with the ribbon and tag. I found these great jars at Goodwill and then I glass etched the snowflake on the outside of them. I thik they turned out nice. The jar themselves were pretty and then add the hot cocoa mix and marshmallows and I am in heaven.

No comments: