Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Peppermint Marshmallows

I got this recipe from Little Birdie's Secret. Their tutorial is so much better than my boring typed out method. I am typing it out for historical purposes but I figured if you wanted to see it with pictures you could go here. Yes I have made these. They are not too minty which is perfect for hot chocolate.

1/2 c powdered sugar
1/3 c cornstarch
2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
1 1/3 c sugar
2/3 c corn syrup
1/2 crushed peppermint candy canes (about 6)
1/8 tsp salt

1. In small bowl sift together powdered sugar and corn starch. Line 9 x 13 pan with foil, spray with non stick cooking spray.
2. Sift 2 tbsp powdered sugar mixture into pan and tilt to coat all sides. leave excess in the pan.
3. Place 2/3 c. water in large bowl (I used my kitchen aide) and sprinkle gelatin. Let soften 5 minutes, until dissolved.
4. In medium, heavy bottom saucepan,, heat sugar, corn srup, candy canes and salt over medium heat until dissolved. About 7 minutes.
5. Pour into bowl with gelatin mixture and beat on high speed electric mixer until light and fluffy. About 10-15 minutes.
6.Spread evenly into prepared pan. Smooth top and dust with powdered sugar mixture. Let stand at room temperature for 2 hours.
7. Lift foil from pan and with small, wet cookie cutter, cut shapes and dip sides into sugar mixture. Cut up remaining into irregular pieces.
8. Store at room temperature, loosely covered.

I tried making marshmallows before and these were so much easier to do than the previous recipe that I tried. Kezri was even able to help with these ones. I can only assume that you could do the same and leave out the candy canes if you didn't want it peppermint, maybe increase the sugar by 1/2 cup. I haven't done that yet so please if you do let me konw how it works out. Always fun to have something fun to do with the kids. If the plain ones work out I may have some great s'mores shape marshmallows for camping this next summer.

No comments: